It seems like everyday there is some new form of technology being introduced to society. Everywhere you look people are connected in some way. Because I work at a high school, I get to see the effects of technology on our youth daily. Every hallway is crowded with students walking with their heads lowered and their eyes focused on their cell phones. Cell phones and technology have become an integral part of today's young peoples' daily lives. Students feel lost if they don't have their phone. They need the constant connection and stimulation technology provides.
21st Century Learners talks about how the need for technology in the classroom is so great. I have noticed a bit of a disconnect between the schools and this idea. In every school I have taught there is a very strict no cell phone or iPod policy. The teachers take away cell phones and ipods if they are seen. I think this is sending mixed messages to the students. we are trying to use technology in the classroom, but at the same time we are treating it like it is something that must be hidden and only used in secret or behind the teachers back. I am not sure how to solve this problem because we don't want student texting during class, but I do feel like there must be a better way to make this connection.
I too see students on their cell phones talking and text as they move through the hallways. And yes, they do seem to feel disconnected and at a loss if they are without their phones for even a few minutes. What I find most strange is that there can be two students sitting across a table from each other – within touching distance – and yet they are texting each other rather than having a meaningful conversation. I sometimes feel that the current generation is able to connect and communicate by using the technology very efficiently, but I hope that it is not at the expense of losing the art of conversation and social interaction.
ReplyDelete@Janice, I feel I must comment on your comment where you said that you hope communicating by using technology is not at the expense of conversation and social interaction. While there may be some significant differences in the way a conversation flows when spoken aloud in front of each other and in a text or email conversation, for example, I think users of these new technologies have not lost the art of communication and interaction, but rather transformed and updated it. We may see two students who could easily be talking aloud to one another but choose to play on their phones instead, but they really are talking to one another, and without the risk of being overheard either! :)
ReplyDelete